Friday, August 8, 2008

Metalsmithing Class


this week i started a little jewelry class for cutting, forging, and soldiering metal! a local lady teaches at her home studio which i very nice and perhaps even messier than my studio! very encouraging. last night was my first class, a birthday present from my parents!

i got to use a roller that allows you to transfer patterns from objects (leaves, sandpaper, cheesecloth, onion bags, etc) onto your metal of choice. i can see getting very addicted to this tool! i opted for a cheesecloth gauze on brass circle and sandpaper on copper for the triangle that was supposed to end up on the bottom. i didn't like the design from the beginning, but it was the assignment, and my triangle looked very silly (although nice texture)... so i took them home, took them apart, added some lovely little vintage german glass beads on gold, and voila! i also etched "lurve always" on the back and plan to give them to my mom :)

can't wait to go back!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, it's Jennifer- I just found this! How wonderful!

I am so glad you have been able to take classes. You know you have a standing invitation to come visit and Nathan and I would love to show you what we know.

Also, I love the rolling mill. We use one at a local shop, but will probably be breaking down and getting one soon. We have a shop in Orlando that offers pretty good deals on them.

I can't wait to see what you make, and can't wait to see you at Thanksgiving. I have a spot in my china cabinet that needs filling, so I've told mom we must go visit your shop!

I love you! Please send my love to your mom and dad!

And although I don't update as much as I should, here's my Livejournal:
http://avidchick.livejournal.com/