Thursday, January 26, 2012

Memories of the General Store Cafe

Although Vespertine is no longer in Pittsboro, my thoughts are certainly there this morning.  I was so saddened to learn that the General Store Cafe closed its doors on Jan 24th.  It was such a definable part of Pittsboro...almost as much as the Courthouse. I really cannot imagine driving up the Circle and not seeing the lights on around their big windows.

I could really show my age here and say how I remember going with my Mom,  taking a jar to the original General Store (located across the street) to fill it with Tamari. Going with friends to get firecracker mix in the afternoons.  I remember when it moved, expanded, and added the restaurant.  When I would come home from college breaks, I would meet my friends there.  We would order the quiche, salad, and coffee and hunker down in our favorite corner--where we would remain undisturbed for hours as we caught up.

The thought I keep coming back to today is that the General Store Cafe really helped give Vespertine life. When I first started out in March of 2007 (wow!), I was working at three Pittsboro businesses (which also helped form Vespertine) and thinking of starting my own. Being able to barter for rent and to do the night closeouts at the GSC allowed me to get my business going. My original shop was located beside the GSC, and the business they generated spilled over in to mine. Although I grew up here, I had never lived "in town" before then. I can still remember how it felt to lock up the GSC and walk home through the place I then felt was "my" town.  Vance and Joyce (the GSC owners) were so inspiring to me.  I loved watching their business thrive and expand. I was so excited to be working with other business people who had a vision to bring something fun and unique to Pittsboro.

I really hope that we can all collectively pause now and think about what is happening with Pittsboro.  How can we better support our businesses? How can we make this a positive and thriving place to live? We can use the Mainstreet Program as a great place to start envisioning our future and figuring out what we need to make it become a reality.

At the risk of sounding overly poetic, I really feel that with the closing of the GSC, a lovely emerald jewel has fallen out of the crown of Pittsboro. Let's not lose another one.

2 comments:

Matt said...

the GSC has lost many a jewel from its crown as soon as they forced an expansion that wasn't needed. Service took an excruciating hit and the food suffered as well. This isn't an effect of people not supporting a business, it's the effect of the business not deserving support and expanding beyond what it could survive. I'll miss the mayan burrito and a great many other things about the place, but it's been on life support for a few years now...

Will said...

I hadn't heard that! I'll really miss the General Store. It's always been the best place in downtown Pittsboro to meet someone and sit and chat, and has done a great job of being a venue for small bands that aren't going to fill a club, but deserve a community space to play.

About overexpanding... that seems to be a chronic problem for resturants and shops. Never having owned a business like that, I can't say I understand why places always feel obligated to double the size of something that's working, but there obviously is some reason.

In any case, I hate to hear the news.