Thursday, October 20, 2011

How beauty feels...

Richard Seymour: How beauty feels | Video on TED.com

Two artistically minded ladies I know shared the above video link with me recently--I highly recommend giving it a watch. It deals with a subject I often think about, and one that I remember sparked interesting conversations in my woodworking sculpture classes: how beauty feels and where we feel it.

 Several years ago I had the good fortune to visit the Uffizi Gallery in Florence, Italy with some of my family.  The whole gallery (and the building itself) is amazing, but one room in particular nearly knocked me off my tired feet--a room filled with Botticelli paintings. These intricately painted canvases are large, each one like a wall of a house, and the brush-strokes are nearly imperceptible they are blended so smoothly. As I walked through this room, gazing at panel after panel of strikingly beautiful figures and foliage, I became aware of a feeling of lightness spreading across my chest from the top of one shoulder to the other.  That is the only way I can describe it.  I suddenly felt as if a weight I didn't know was there had been physically lifted off of me. 

That's where I feel beauty.  Where do you feel it? What evokes that feeling for you? 

No comments: