Wednesday, April 21, 2010

a little story about my parents


this photo and story is just a little ode to the unusual and incredible and insane people who are my parents. we built our house and it is my mother's most cherished thing. i don't know how many times i've waited 10 minutes for toast to toast only to then realize she'd unplugged the toaster oven for a drive to the grocery store.. but i digress..

this spring (and last spring, and the spring before that) a family of little squirrels gnawed their way into the peak of one end of the house.. my parents have tried many things to get them to stop, and have put up all sorts of metal,etc.. but those squirrels are amazing. they have chewed some holes in the poplar logs that are incredible.

on Monday my mother was having a hard morning already, and she was sitting on the couch with her dog trying to compose herself when she looked up and saw daylight streaming in the roof/ceiling of the living room. following a major meltdown and my arrival, my father realized that he had to go get the squirrels out but his scaffolding wouldn't reach that high and our roofing friend was in CT... over lunch he had the idea to lift a ladder up on his forklift that would reach the ridge of the house. (somewhere there is also a photo of my grandfather up a ladder that is raised in the bucket of his tractor, and propped by the other side on a rotten wooden flagpole)

this photo was taken at the moment my father realized that if he stepped to the right or left to put the second ladder up he'd fall off the pallet, the ladder could only go right where he was standing. i narrated from below "and this is the point at which Bob realized he didn't want to go any higher".

so, on to plan c...

No comments: