Friday, March 5, 2010

Gentle Beauty



Jeremy came running into my shop this afternoon saying "there is the most beautiful dead songbird outside your shop". He wanted me to use it as a display, (yes, interesting fellow he is) but it was so sweetly detailed and beautiful I couldn't resist taking some photos of it. I wished I could have gotten out a nice sketch book and to sit down and draw some renditions of it. Although to get the full effect I would have needed to paint the gentle color shifts in it's beautiful feathers. Luckily, Link came by and I sent the bird along with him in a little white box for him to study it with Jasper later in the afternoon. Perhaps they will draw some pictures of it.

P.S. Two friends wrote in to tell me this little bird is a Cedar Waxwing, and that they love holly berries. That probably explains why it was at the base of the Holly tree.. And why I've been seeing flocks of birds fluffing around in the trees all up and down Hillsboro Street!

No comments: